Sunday, January 27, 2008

FIT Early and a History lesson for Me:)...

I am posting the FIT early because I will be busy with appointments on Tuesday.
I found this photo almost a year ago and since Mardi Gras had already passed I filed it away until this year. I thought it would make an awesome Mardi Gras collage.

When I pulled it back out last week and scanned it I was able to get a clear close up of the words written at the bottom of the woman on the right hand side's dress. I had always assumed the origin of the photo was France, but it's not. The words say, "Grand Ball of the Philharmonic Society of Hanoi". Hanoi was the capital of French Indochina from 1887 to 1954. The French occupied Vietnam until after WWII. During the years of 1901 through 1911 the French built an opera house that was a smaller scale copy of the Palais Garner, one of Paris' famous opera houses. That is now called the Hanoi Opera House.


I wonder where the Ball was held? Was the photographer set up at the ball to take everyone's photos? I bet everyone was so excited to be getting the Opera house which would remind them of home. It's a very cool piece of French Colonialist history. The lady in the Mardi Gras dress is named Madame Laurent and I can not clearly read her "Queen of Spades" girlfriend. I will post the names in case one of you can:)

9 comments:

Lori said...

that picture is a HOOT!!! great find!!!

Poppy Q said...

Jamie that picture is fantastic. Why can't we dress like that? Makes jeans and tops so boring.

Julie Quirke(your little New Zealand friend)

Ali said...

(It's Tuesday here Jamie!!)

great FIT - great costumes!!

Robin said...

Hi, Jamie - I found your blog thru my sister, Belinda at Adornments. Love this picture - isn't it interesting that they are both looking at different things but not at the camera. I really enjoy your art! Take care. Robin

Maddie Can Fly said...

It looks like it says "Maman et" which would be Momma and Marie.

Kathrine said...

What a great picture! I can never find anything like that. They rarely smiled either for the camera back then. I wonder if it has something to do with having to stay still for a few minutes while the picture is being taken.

Susan Tuttle said...

Hi Jamie,
I love that Mardi Gras pic - such character!!

Susan
xo

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I am not sure what the first word is, but it says "Maman et madame Laurent" after that.

Mum and Mrs. Laurent.

Anonymous said...

The first word is, I am pretty sure :
TRAVESTIS which means "disguises" in french, and then : "Mummy and Madame Laurent" This is a wonderful picture
Thank you for posting it . Catherine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails